Air Force Experience
United States Air Force, McChord AFB, WA;
Los Angeles AFB, CA – 2001-06
Assistant Staff Judge Advocate General (JAG): Made legal recommendations to commanders and other decision-makers on criminal and civil matters, and all aspects of government contracting, from acquisition strategy and solicitation to source selection, award, and administration. Served as legal advisor for Air Force and Congressional investigations, FOIA responses, and employment issues.
- Saved $3.5 million in delay costs by persuading Air Force to override CICA stay and begin performing time-sensitive contract during GAO protest.
- Military trial counsel; litigated roughly a dozen military courts-martial before judges and juries as first or second chair (including cases for rape and assault with a deadly weapon).
- Special Assistant U.S. Attorney; prosecuted 300 misdemeanor and petty offenses in Federal Magistrate Court through bench trials and negotiated agreements.
- Legal advisor and member of Aircraft Investigation Board concerning $20 million F-16 crash; analyzed wreckage, consulted experts, obtained sworn testimony from 15 witnesses, and produced 150-page report.
- Prevailed in litigation before Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; used creative non-monetary remedies to resolve other labor disputes.
- Authored over 100 government contract reviews, ensuring compliance with FAR, DFARS, and other authorities.
- Successfully defended five GAO protests.
- Legal advisor to the team responsible for housing privatization at Los Angeles Air Force Base, which required the crafting of a complex, multi-million dollar 50-year lease of federal real estate, and conveying title to improvements thereon, in exchange for cash and other consideration.
- Lead attorney advisor regarding the relocation of Los Angeles Air Force Base and the Space and Missile Systems Center into 560,000 square feet of newly constructed facilities.